Monday, November 8, 2010

Rockstars In My Kitchen.

I feel pretty lucky that my favourite musicians are my best friends. It means that I get to see my favourite bands without having to pay a 20 dollar cover charge, I get to listen to their records without having to blow my pay check at HMV, and I get to watch as they write new songs and grow and change.

Right now two of my favourite people (and favourite songwriters) are releasing a split record together. Taylor Doyle and Travesty. Tay's side of the split is done and Travis is currently recording his half. Both sides include the best songs either of them have ever written.
Photobucket
Photo by RosieToes
Taylor is a very shy and timid person and watching him perform (or even listening to his recordings) is such a brutally honest experience. It's almost as though you are catching a glimpse of something no one was see. Musically he is tough to describe. His songs always have huge melodies and seem very straight forward on the surface, and yet they are so intricate and noodley. Taylor really grabs me with his lyrics. He writes about his friends and love and loss, but in a poetic way almost reminiscent of E.E Cummings of T.S Eliot.
Photobucket

Travesty is hands down the best banjo player I have ever heard. He is so passionate when he plays that it's hard not to loose yourself in his brand of old-timey plucking. His yelp sounds like a 30's blues legend. Despite being a master of traditional folk and blues tunes, Travesty doesn't subscribe to the cliche of just singing about trains and whiskey. He sings about what he knows and his internal struggles, and this boy has seen and been through a lot.


Love,
Steve B.

1 comment: